Re: Pol Joni, Unicorn Riders

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 19:37:19 EDT

Chris Bell:

<< How does Pol Joni tribal life work? Is it the same as the life for most
 Praxians?>>

    I imagine it to be a fusion of Orlanthi and Praxian habits, although the latter will be more strongly evident, especially to outsiders, because of the requirements of the terrain and nomadic lifestyle.

<< What cult do their young adults initiate into...Waha, Orlanth, or both?>>

    According to Drastic: Prax (based, I understand, on CoP in this instance) Orlanth is the usual cult for young men, but Waha is also known. Foundchild (not Odayla, because his magic is of little use on the chaparral), Humakt and Storm Bull are all more popular than Waha, and a significant minority are ancestor worshippers. I'd assume, therefore, that Orlanth is the cult into which young men are initiated, as in Sartarite society, and that cults such as Waha are joined later, much as Issaries or Lhankor Mhy might be.

     Women, however, primarily follow Eiritha, with Ernalda and Helpwoman also popular. I'd assume this is because of the greater emphasis on herding, and the absence of farming. None the less, many Orlanthi deities are said to be worshipped by the female Pol Joni, although they seem to prefer Humakt and Urox to Vinga. So I'd imagine young women are initiated into Eiritha first, and other cults later.

    This also helps to make Pol Joni culture more unique, with Orlanth and Eiritha rather than Orlanth and Ernalda, as the two dominant deities.

<<Are there Shamans as well as Rune Priests in their number? >>

     The practice of Ancestor Worship indicates that there must be, although these shamans would presumably follow Daka Fal rather than one of the Orlanthi deities.

<< From my understanding, they were originally Dragon Pass people, so
presumably their priests would practice Sararite style Lightbringer worship.>>

     I agree that they would worship all the Lightbringers, and assume that Lhankor Mhy, Issaries and Chalana Arroy are all in there among the worshippers of 'Other Orlanthi' gods mentioned in Drastic: Prax.

<< Would they also have Waha style Shamans in the tribe, Kolating Shamans
adapted to the plains (worshipping Wild Hunter and so on?) or a fusion of the two? >>

    I'd envisage that they would have both, although I don't think either would be especially numerous.

<<Would their Warleaders be Wind Lords, Waha Khans, or both?>>

     Both, plus Swords of Humakt and Storm Khans. The Wind Lords are probably thought of as more 'normal', given that Orlanth seems to be the dominant deity.

<< Would Orlanth Rex and Waha worship be combined in some weird way?>>

    I suspect that the clan chieftains and tribal king (I'm assuming they still have such things) would have to pay lip service to Waha, although their primary powers will come from Orlanth Rex. But they will have to do some Waha ceremonies, or their people couldn't survive on the plains IMO.

<< And why the hell did the Pol Joni people leave Sartar?>>

     A bloke by the name of Derik created the tribe in order to make it easier for him to kick Praxian bottom and protect the Tarshites from their raids.

<< Also, I wonder about the Unicirn Riders. While a minor tribe, who would
their daily tribal life differ from that of the typical Praxian? It seems that the women are obviously in charge.>>

     Yup, the women are entirely in charge, and use men only as slaves.

<< Would the typical Unicorn Rider be an initiate of Yelorna, A strange
feminie version of Waha, or both?>>

     They worship Yelorna, often alongside Foundchild (normally a god for men only). Some of them do worship Eiritha, because her magic is useful, but Waha provides nothing they need. Some worship other war gods, with Yelmalio and Vinga the most popular. There are even Unicorn Rider Chalana Arroy worshippers, according to Drastic: Prax.

<< Would the men initiate into Eiritha?>>

    No, in fact they don't initiate into any cults at all. Those who are captured slaves would retain their original cult affiliation, of course, although they are rather limited in their ability to practice.

<< Do the men normally take care of the traditional women's roles in the camp?

    To some extent, yes, although the presence of Yelornan Eiritha worshippers indicate that many of the more important such functions are still performed by women.

<< Do the Uniciorn Riders see Waha as a female, and all the other triobes as
"wrong"?>>

    No, they just see him as a gitt.

<< What are the normal child rearing practices? >>

    I assume that babies are looked after by the mother for the first few years (you wouldn't want a *man* to do it) but at a certain age - say around 5 - - the boys get sent to live along the men and learn to be a good slave.

<< I'd also imagine that solar worship and solar deities may well have greater
representation in the Unicorn rider tribe, due to the Yelorna connection.>>

    The Lunars seem to have been pretty succesful at converting them, too.

<< I'd imagine that the Unicorn Rider Shamans (Shamanesses? Witches?) Would
have superb skill at summoning sky and fire spirits.>>

    Favourite spirit cults for Unicorn Rider shamans are mostly stellar deities, but not particularly fire oriented ones, although Firearrow and Ignite are among their favourite spells, so they obviously do a bit of that too.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky