Gloranthan Technology

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 17:06:33 +1200 (NZST)

Kevin Rose:

>The difficulty here is that Glorntha is not ADVANCING in technology, it is
>regressing. First age magic and technology was superior to second age and
>second age to third age.

I disagree. The general level of technology has been increasing. The Loskalmi have plate armor which is now appearing in Seshnela and Ralios. The Dawn Age Dara Happans had mills which was demonstrably unknown in the Golden Age. All in all, the Kingdom of Loskalm, the Lunar Empire and the Kralori Empire are all as sophisticated as the bygone empires of the Bright Empire, the God Learners and the EWF.

>There were magical high tech cultures on
>Glorantha once. For example, the Feldichi artifact in Dorastor is a
>remant. But these cultures are all gone now. (Except for the dwarves,
>who are not really all that advanced in comparison.)

I'm curious as to why the "Feldichi" artifact is held up as an example of a magical high tech culture whereas the Lunar Empire, despite its Moonboats, is not.