RE: The Glorantha Digest V6 #187

From: Steve Lieb <styopa_at_iname.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 10:38:27 -0500

On Sunday, September 13, 1998 1:45 PM, The Glorantha Digest [SMTP:owner-glorantha-digest_at_chaosium.com] wrote:
>>Virtually all aspects of a society are significantly
> >>effected by that
> >>cultures technological level. Features such as
> >>stirrups, jointed plate
> >>armour, crossbows, rapiers, halberds and large literate
> >>populations all
> >>seem IMHO to be too advanced for a Bronze Age society.
> Just because Europe and the Fertile Crescent were a bit
> slow in developing
> stirrups doesn't mean that Gloranthans have to be - they
> have a lot more
> riding people, too.

Whoa! Who has a lot more riding people? So the Praxians + Pentans are more than the Tatars, Bulgars, Mongols, Huns, etc, etc, etc? (Depending on how broadly you care ot cast the RW net...) - a dubious assertion.

> As I recently was told by a smith working with
> experimental archaeologists, [snip] ... And then the
iron is likely to be of a quality
> little better than bad bronze.

I again am more than a little dubious. This seems to be a Eurocentric assumption. The dominance of the Assyrian war machine was based significantly on the major advantage of its iron vs. its neighbors' bronze. To say that the quality of the iron ore produced was even COMPARABLE to bronze is stretching it. Yes, bronze is easier to handle, but the significant characteristics of iron improved by even the marginal addition of carbon (almost inevitable in primitive smelting) and the high effectiveness of tempering on even poor steel (vs bronze, on which tempering's effects are much less) makes iron and its products an order of magnitude better in all respects. And I don't mean just weapons in this discussion - weapons are just the most obvious. But wheel hubs, axles, woodworking tools, etc etc. The whole society becomes more productive.

Now, how do I wander back on-topic?