EWF in Prax

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 23:36:10 +1200 (NZST)

Jane Williams:

>David Weihe says: Pavis Within the Walls was never part of EWF
>
>Don't follow your use of "part of". Pavis was founded by the EWF.

There's a statement in the Cult of Pavis writeup that states while the "Rune Priests of Pavis will always wear the costumes of the Empire of the Wyrms Friends on official occasions", "the city was never an official part of that empire" (Cults of Prax, Pavis:ToD).

>Old Pavis is based on Auld Wyrmish.

I wouldn't quite put it like this. While Old Pavic does have draconic loan hisses-cum-words, most of the language is solidly Theyalan (cf the languages section in the Genertela Book: Old Pavic is mentioned in the example as being a Theyalan tongue). Old Pavic IMO was the speech of your Dragon Pass Orlanthi in the days of the EWF and may be the very same 'now-extinct Theyalan dialect' that was spoken by the rulers of Peloria six centuries ago.

A gloranthan analogue would be Stultan which is a Kralori language yet has a substantial darkness component. A RW parallel would be english which is a West-Germanic language yet has loads of Latin words in it.

>When Jaldon attacked Pavis, the EWF sent a relief army.

They could have been protecting their national interests...

>Jaldonw as eventually cursed by the EWF.

And his grave is in the lands of the Torkani in Dragon Pass. Thus I think this curse took place after he tried to raid the EWF and not for sacking Pavis.

>Sun County origins: without having sources in front of me, these people
>were invited in from Dragon Pass (at that time dominated by the EWF) to
>aid an EWF city.

They were recruited by Joraz Kyrem when he was in Dragon Pass seeking soldiers of fortune to liberate his kingdom. The expedition would have probably had the blessing of the EWF but it would not have been an EWF expedition.

>They differed only from standard EWF in their tendency to sun
>worship. This at the time when the Darra Happan Emperor had more scales
>than the norm: Yelm as Dragon, in fact.

I dunno about 'differed only from standard EWF'. The EWF initially was partially derived from the Solar Imperial Theocracy (RQ3 book 5) which implies that the Sun Dome Temples were the initial foundations of the EWF and the Cult of Orlanth Dragonfriend came later (according to KoS).

>It looks to me as if Sun County was founded by worshippers of the Sun
>Dragon, and was supported by the EWF. When Pavis fell, the "Solitude of
>Testing" began, as they were cut off from the EWF in the midst of EWF-
>hating nomads.

Since Prax was not an official part of the EWF, it seems to me that Sun County was not 'supported by the EWF'. I'm not even sure that they were cut off from the EWF as one of the Seventeen Foes of Waha is a Sun Dragon worshipper. This implies that the EWF or a soldier of fortune affliated with the EWF tried to occupy pavis after the extinction of the Arrowsmith Dynasty.

>I've never believed that story about Yelmalio accidently wiping out
>his own temple doing a DI, myself, unless he holds the record for Most
>Incompetent God.

There are ample mythological precedents. Jerusalem fell countless times to invaders despite the inhabitants being the Chosen People of the Supreme Being. The Invisible God smote the God Learners after they forgot His ways.

>It looks to me as if during those years [between the fall of Pavis
>and the Dragonkill], Sun County did a change of religion. To
>Yelmalio, presumably. (Introduced by the Elves of the Garden?)

If Yelmalio was introduced by the Elves of the Garden, then I would expect to see elvish elements in Sun County. Given the absence of such elements, it seems to me that the God was always called Yelmalio since the introduction of the Templars.

I'm inclined to place the formation of the cult of Yelmalio to sixth century South Peloria when Dara Happan emirges occupy a ruined Sun Dome Temple left over from the Chaos Wars and make friends with some nearby elves (in Rist). Thus they combine Yelm and Halamao to get Yelmalio. Their success in repelling the Uz when they migrate into Holay leads to the rapid imitation by the Orlanthi of Dragon Pass who are chafing under the rule of the Uz.

Therefore the key shift IMO from the draconic cult to the nondraconic cult comes about in 1043 ST when everybody forgets Auld Wyrmish. They could not even *think* draconically and so the draconic elements of the Sun Dome Temple fall by the wayside as they are meaningless. At the time of the Dragonkill, there's hardly any draconic elements in Sun County.