Vexacious Vingans.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 19:45:54 +0100 (BST)

Pam Carlson sagaciously speaks:
> I think that whether a person can get storm powers or not depends on
> whether he or she can walk the heropath to get them. The rudiments of this
> heropath are part of the Orlanthi male initiation rights, which is why it
> is easier for Orlanthi men to aquire them. A Vingan could walk the porper
> paths and get them, but I think it would take more effort for her to do so,
> as she didn't begin her initiation with them.

Shpot on, I think. It may even be that in order to so effectively, it requires changing her social role significantly. Or reversewise, looking too long and hard at the Thunderous mysteries might cause her to be _regarded_ in a different light by others.

> (I think they undergo the women's initation, and then a special
> Vinga/O. Warrior initiation later on.)

Given recent Official Leaks about the length of the initiation process, I think it's all part of the same thing. (Normally; there's always the case of someone being Called later in life.) That is, they start off as non-adults on the Ernaldan path, and end up a year or several later as adult women with all the requisite data to slide past with all the Girlie Stuff, as Nick Eden so delicately put it -- there's no question in my mind that they're excluded from the women's house, so this is certainly not so drastic a change in role as the Nandan thing -- but with the knowledge to be warriors, too. It's likely quite possible to change the "balance" of this particular juggling act, either by accident or design.

[DH, Peloria, Illumination, Chaos]
> This chestnut is almost as unresolveable as the chicken vs egg question.

I can help you with _that_, it was the egg. Ask me a hard one. ;-)

David Cake has a sudden attack of Revisionism:

> Rest assured that no great pronouncements have been made.

Nope, just lots of Meaningful Whisperings in quiet corners, it would seem.

> Storm Voices
> are male, but Thunderous magic is not exclusively male anywhere I can see
> (in fact, Orlanth Thunderous and Vinga are explicitly noted as compatible).

Mysteriouser and mysteriouser. Sounds like you and Jeff have somewhat incompatible versions of Inside Secret Knowledge. So, who has v2.03, and who has v3.01?

I may be showing my profound ignorance here, but in HW terms, what's the distinction between being an Orlanth Thunderous type and being a Storm Voice? Is there some _different_ O.T. keyword., other than the S.V. one? Such as something as quaint as an initiate or acolyte?

> high standards of consistency and accuracy [are] infuriating when it
> results in flame wars over the details of products that still a long
> way from the final form.

I don't think we're talking about "products" here, we're talking about Glorantha. All the querents in this thread have asked about "the new Glorantha" (sic), only some of the respondants have dragged the HW rules into the equation.

While there have been one or two intemperate words typed in this discussion (and I'm nominate Jane's, even though I agreed with the substance of her point), I think it's still on the "no flag, no foul" side of flamefestdom. I suppose I'm ultimately to "blame" for this thread, from my original, and admittedly slightly disingenuously loaded questions, but I think there's been more light than heat, overall, so I remain infuriatingly unrepentant about having done so.

> and even bid adieu to a few RQ2 era icons, knowing that what we have now is
> shaping up to be great.

To defend Jane with faint accusations, let's note that if she's an RQ grognard, then she's at least an _RQ3_ grognard. ;-)

> propounding the Lunar/Pelorian/Pelandan world view.

Which one? (And I don't just mean which of that three-part-list.)

Slainte,
Alex.