Explicit tree sex.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 00:23:14 +0100 (BST)

Chris Bell sez:
> For some reason, I see Elf deities being more hemaphroditic and
> androgynous than the human norm.

Very true for mreli, I think, at least from the human PoV. Vronkali and embyli have much more clearly defined sexual distinctions.

Potted summary -- vronkali are old-fashioned Solar Sexists (TM), embyli suffer from female non-existence... (Though in practice they're female-ruled, not to say female-worshipping, in the person of their dryads.)

But as for brown elves: they may have sexually dimorphic characteristics, but they'd be entirely mysterious and confusing to humans, and many of them may indeed be hermaphrodites -- after all, most broadleaf trees are (I think; would a Real Botanist please correct me if this is statistical or biological tosh).

And as below, so above (P. Gabriel, if memory serves), so I think the same would be true of representations of elf deities.

Slainte,
Alex.