Knights and Bronze

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 12:47:57 +1200 (NZST)

Trevor Browne:

>Nothing really, I just thought if the materials were good enough to make
>Bronze plate that refined. i.e with hinged joints and intricate
>interlocking parts, rather than something like the Dendra style Mycanaean
>armour, which looks like it was made by Ned Kelly. Then your could make
>anything that late medieval Europe could make out of metal (And it wouldn't
>rust).

Bronze however does oxidise. But you seem to be assuming that Bronze smithing techniques are the same all over glorantha (ie if smiths could make interlocking greaves in Loskalm, then Orlanthi smiths can make it in Dragon Pass) which I strongly doubt.

>That didn't seem to fit with the idea of a mostly Bronze Age and
>Neolithic world as described in the Glorantha intro.

Which was written nearly 20 years ago and mostly for the Orlanthi and Lunars of Dragon Pass. And even then, the word Greg should have used is not 'Bronze Age' but 'Classical'.

>If this was the case
>we would just have a pseudo-medieval world with a red-gold tinge, and then
>your back to AD&D which is where I came from (And don't want to go back),
>and probably why I really like the Bronze Age bit about Glorantha (And have
>it in for the knights).

I do not see how the roman and hellenistic models for the Lunar Empire, the Celtic and Teutonic models for the Orlanthi or the Souix model for the Praxians can possibly translate into a 'psuedo-medieval world with a red gold tinge'. If you don't like the Knights of the West then don't use them.