HW keywords

From: Mikael Raaterova <amr_at_swipnet.se>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 10:40:53 +0200

Alex wonders:
>> Storm Voices
>> are male, but Thunderous magic is not exclusively male anywhere I can see
>> (in fact, Orlanth Thunderous and Vinga are explicitly noted as compatible).
>
>Mysteriouser and mysteriouser. Sounds like you and Jeff have somewhat
>incompatible versions of Inside Secret Knowledge. So, who has v2.03,
>and who has v3.01?

Mostly it's a matter of interpretation IMO. Worship of Vinga is OTOH explicitly compatible with worship of the Thunderer.

>I may be showing my profound ignorance here, but in HW terms, what's the
>distinction between being an Orlanth Thunderous type and being a Storm
>Voice? Is there some _different_ O.T. keyword., other than the S.V.
>one? Such as something as quaint as an initiate or acolyte?

The character keywords in HW have double meanings (IMO, as it is not explicitly stated).

The keywords, on one hand, describe various social positions/vocations in the culture. In this respect 'all' Storm Voices are male, as a cultural norm.

On the other hand keywords describe some of the abilities a character has. In this respect someone can have the _powers_ of a Storm Voice without being recognized by the community _as_ a Storm Voice. The mundane abilities of a Storm Voice are hardly arcane secrets anyway. As to how a person gains the powers of the Thunderar without communal sanction, well, if Orlanth deems you worthy you don't need any other mentor to train you. Perform lots of acts of devotion and Orlanth may recognize your ambition.

This means that people can worship the Thunderer and not be Storm Voices. The distinction between being an Orlanth Thunderous type and being a Storm Voice is that S.V.s fill a social position within the community as priests/godis while the O.T. types are all who can call upon the powers of the Thunderer.

Hope this helps.