Yamsur

From: Benedict Adamson <ben_at_cd.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 13:08:01 +0100

> Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 18:59:53 +0100
> From: "Jane Williams" <jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk>
> Subject: EWF in PRax.

- -..
> I've never believed that story about Yelmalio accidently wiping out his
> own temple doing a DI, myself, unless he holds the record for Most
Incompetent
> God. It looks to me as if during those years, Sun County did a change of
religion.
> To Yelmalio, presumably. (Introduced by the Elves of the Garden?) But Yamsur,
if
> he did a DI at all, did it to Sun Dragon: and Sun Dragon was a little pissed
off with
> Sun County at the time. So he deliberately destroyed his own temple: and the
New
> Sun Dome was built to a different god.

BTW What was the name of the cold sun god Sun County worshipped before Monroge (sp?) had his vision? I thought Yelmalio was the name he invented.

I don't think Yamsur called on Sun Dragon. When the dragon[ewt]s assassinated the leaders of the EWF and everyone forget Auld Wyrmish, in 1042, draconic worship would end. Yamsur would not have the option.

I agree that the story of the destruction of Old Sun Dome is implausible as it stands. Perhaps Yamsur did call on [Yelmalio], but Sun Dragon disrupted it as a last piece of vengeance and (as you suggest) to destroy the Old Sun Dome. At the time [Yelmalio] would be relatively weak, because newly separated from draconic elements, so I think this would be possible.

Yamsur was a noted heroquester. What were his quests? In the situation, I think he quested to purge solar worship of draconic elements, and to rediscover the `correct' sun worship practiced before the EWF. At the time there would be conflict between different solar factions. Perhaps Yamsur also had the Many Suns
Vision. Perhaps Monroge learned, then repeated, Yamsur's earlier quest, when he visitied Sun County.

As for Yelmalio's incompetence: he IS a B-list solar deity. No horses, no fire powers, in his greatest quest all his enemies defeat him...