Re: HW keywords

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 02:45:58 +0100 (BST)

Mikael Raaterova, he say:
> The character keywords in HW have double meanings (IMO, as it is not
> explicitly stated).
>
> The keywords, on one hand, describe various social positions/vocations in
> the culture. In this respect 'all' Storm Voices are male, as a cultural
> norm.
>
> On the other hand keywords describe some of the abilities a character has.

That'd make sense, actually. Certainly one would hardly raise an eyebrow if one were told that the "official" Storm Voice of the clan and his immediate understudy/rival had rather similar magic and whatnot, so more liberal yet readings would presumably be possible too.

So the punchline to the "can Vingans Thunder?" (I can hear Julian Lord smirking, many miles and a couple of weeks away) discussion, is, it would seem: in the HW rules, yes; in New Improved Glorantha, yes too, though Your Rationale May Vary. That seems moderately satisfactory to me, though I suspect there's a lot more "local colour" to come out in how this might actually happen, Gloranthocentrically speaking. (And if not, I'll just make it all up, come the time.)

Slan (this time you'll have to just imagine the li'l accent, since trying to add it last time made Majordomo vomit), Alex.