RE: The Glorantha Digest V6 #194

From: alwallac <alwallac_at_linknet.kitsap.lib.wa.us>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 98 16:43:13 -0700

By All,

It's been a long time since I have seen a topic that had any relevance for me, and almost as long that I have any remotely useful comments.

I do have a few parting questions and comments.

What is being discussed here that is so important that it justifies the rudeness and personal attacks. At its best Glorantha is a good read or a pleasant evening's gaming. I admit that my old crowds were often way out of the main stream, but some of the things I've read here would have led to violence and permanent enmity. The second part seems to be the case even here. To what do you justify this?

Why are people belittled for justifiably unhappy for their games being retconned into unrecognizability? Glorantha is a product, a commercial venture. If Office 98 failed to read previous editions any one of you would be ballistic, but when Jane was unhappy because Vinga's powers, a cult central to her game in all probability, appeared to have been seriously cut back, she is accused of being a grognard, whatever the hell that means. Poor quaint little monomyth primitive. It's probably just as well that I will never meet many of you face to face, I'm not nearly as patient as I aught to be. Why is it you will attack someone in defense of poor product support.

Do you realize that answering peoples questions with a list of pages from various publications is incredibly insulting? What makes you think that that they would be too stupid to look things up themselves if they had access to the books? Short narratives with resource lists following are much more useful, particularly public access resources. Some people are quite good about this, some aren't.

I had a good couple of games with David Dunham, but right now if I never play in Glorantha again I doubt I'll miss it.

The purpose of this, except for those who are in it for the buck, is to have fun, the Digest is about Egos. Glorantha is not officially supported here, not even minimally. Frankly, as much as I disliked them, TSR supported their material, as weak as some of it was. The late Dave Hargrave was happy to help people out with the Arduin Grimoire. If Greg can't be bothered to throw a little water on the occasional flame, to hell with him. If he won't help support his own dream, why should I care about it. The worlds of Shehallalecyn are just as rich, and my own creation besides. What keeps you in Glorantha?

This isn't just a tirade, I really would like to understand this. Send any responses to me personally, I'm unsubscribing. alwallac_at_linknet.kitsap.lib.wa.us

It's been interesting and bemusing

                                      Allen Wallace