Yelmalio in Prax

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 17:31:22 +1200 (NZST)

Benedict Adamson:

>BTW What was the name of the cold sun god Sun County worshipped before
>Monroge (sp?) had his vision?

The people of Sun County have always worshipped Yelmalio ever since it was settled. However the Orlanthi of Dragon Pass have venerated the Sun as Elmal and it is only recently that Yelmalio has been imported.

>I thought Yelmalio was the name he invented.

Why would one need to invent a name?

>I agree that the story of the destruction of Old Sun Dome is implausible as
>it stands. Perhaps Yamsur did call on [Yelmalio], but Sun Dragon disrupted
it >as a last piece of vengeance and (as you suggest) to destroy the Old Sun Dome.

Why couldn't have Yelmalio transported Yamsur anyway to punish his own temple? I really don't see why Yelmalio should be deemed incompetent because the deed does not fit with some people's impressions of Yelmalio.

>At the time [Yelmalio] would be relatively weak, because newly separated
>from draconic elements, so I think this would be possible.

This is roughly 80 years after the event. I think the cult would have recovered by then. For example, Dara Happa merely 50 years after the death of Nysalor had managed to overthrow its Theyalan Overlords.

>Perhaps Yamsur also had the Many Suns Vision. Perhaps Monroge learned,
>then repeated, Yamsur's earlier quest, when he visitied Sun County.

AFAIK Monrogh had his vision in Teshnos. I fail to see any need for Yamsur to have the many suns vision given that we know Yelmalio was already present in Prax at the time.

>As for Yelmalio's incompetence: he IS a B-list solar deity. No horses, no
>fire powers, in his greatest quest all his enemies defeat him...

Yelmalio does have horses (cf gift #8 - Communication (automatic mindspeech) with all horses - and the skill of Kuschile Archery). And is Jesus B-grade coz he was crucified as a common criminal in his greatest quest?