Stirrups, Culture clashes and Wife stealing

From: Trevor Browne <trevor.browne_at_easynet.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 23:58:09 +0100

Sergio Mascarenhas
>Wife-stealing?!! This seems to me to be a great idea with a lot of MGF on
>it. Coul this be inserted into praxian mores?

I love the wife stealing bit, that has loads of potential how about Helen of Weis and the wooden Alticamelus.

Neil Smith
>They showed the latest recreation of a Roman stirrupless cavalry saddle --
with horns!

The Romans used lance armed cavalry during Trajan's campaigns in Dacia (which I think is what the doc was on wasn't it). These IIRC were modeled on Sarmatian allied cavalry, the Roman word for lance 'Kontos' is Sarmatian for barge pole. I wonder if they also copied the saddles. If so it would seem reasonable to allow barbarian/nomad stirrupless heavy cavalry to charge with lances too. Try and stop those Praxian Rhino lancers now!

Tom Zunder
>Have people played games in which Gloranthan cultures meet other fantasy
cultures?

I once played in a game where we ended up in the 'Elric' setting. It was interesting playing an acolyte of the Seven Mothers attempting to bring the wisdom of the Red Goddess to a world with no Red Moon. During our stay we acquired some bound demons but when we returned to Glorantha they all shrank to 10% of their powers. This left us with some pathetic but entertaining demons. I seem to remember fighting some Darleks in one game as well, IIRC the GM described them as iron cones which shoot lightning.

Trev