Re: heroquesting

From: Kevin Rose <vladt_at_interaccess.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 16:33:58 -0500 (CDT)

I'm really impressed by some of the ideas in hero wars to handle heroquesting. It has some weankesses, but I think it can do heroquesting better than anything available. Eric was promosing it will be out in may. All things considered I would not bet the farm on that date.

But it doesn't handle free form heroquesting. Not because it cannot mechanically, but because the missing part is a very detailed idea of how the heroplane/godplane works and what are the assorted hero paths. IMO that has been the real problem for a long time. Rules are easier to fake.

I really have not seen anything planned that would make free-form heroquestion easy to run. Mostly because I think you would need to have a significant part of the the myths and heropaths associated with most of the major gods done first. As these are somewhat limited currently it makes it hard.

Or you could just make them up. IMO that is hard to do well, as there should be interrelationships that are important and less than obvious. But making them up and building it as you go along would seem to be the only solution right now.

Lastly, I've seen it argued that the Seven Mothers heroquest was actually the Orlanth heroquest for Yelm in disguise. Equally it would seem obvious that modifying an existing trick to produce a diferent effect is probably easier than coming up with something competely unique. Whether that is true or not I don't know, but that's a decision you get to make in your game.

Kevin