Experimental HeroQuesting

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 19:07:45 EDT

Dana Myers:

<< I was looking through the various web published heroquesting rules, but
they all seem to focus on re-accomplishing actions of ones gods.>>

     This is overwhelmingly the major use of heroquesting on Glorantha, and is (relatively speaking) a common occurence, so its unsurprising that most people have concentrated on this aspect.

<< I read somewhere ( sorry I can't find the reference just now ) that anyone
could heroquest; Priest, Shaman or Sorcerer.>>

     Correct. One has to have a certain minimum power to be able to participate as a central figure and/or have any real chance of success, but all four magical traditions allow for the possibility of heroquesting IMO. In some cases, such as the dwarves, the experience of what a heroquest is may be very different to the standard theist view, but I believe that they all have something equivalent. The uses to which they put the techniques will vary considerably as well; Orlanthi being more fond of the experimental type of heroquesting, for instance.

<< I was wondering if anyone has delt with "free form" Style heroquests.
Whereas people go off venturing through the planes to do heroic things and access heroic powers without simply duplicating what others have done before. An example ( I
 believe ) of this sort of quest would be the Seven Mothers reincarnating the  Red Goddess. Unless someone did that in the past, they had to do that one on  their own.>>

      Arkat-style experimental heroquesting cannot be done in a complete vacuum; there has to be a pre-existing myth or set of myths there to interact with. The trick comes from being able to manipulate those myths in the direction that you want, of being able to turn away from the 'script' and to be able to create a new outcome. This is known to be both extremely difficult and highly dangerous, but if you can pull it off succesfully the rewards can be great. Even the Seven Mothers were using some variant of the Lightbringer myth to re-create a goddess who also had her set of pre-existing myths.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

    Trotsky