Re: The Glorantha Digest V6 #200

From: Chris Bell <argrath_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 19:27:21 -0500

> Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 18:05:24 -0700
> From: "Dana and Cynthia Myers" <dnc_at_icehouse.net>
> Subject: heroquesting
>
> Hi there, here is another question.
> I am designing a campaign whereas at the end the players will need to
> get quite a bit of ability and power. I was looking through the various web
> published heroquesting rules, but they all seem to focus on re-accomplishing
> actions of ones gods. I was looking for more of something that would allow
> the characters to blaze their own way to heroism.
> I read somewhere ( sorry I can't find the reference just now ) that
> anyone could heroquest; Priest, Shaman or Sorcerer. I was wondering if
> anyone has delt with "free form" Style heroquests. Whereas people go off
> venturing through the planes to do heroic things and access heroic powers
> without simply duplicating what others have done before. An example ( I
> believe ) of this sort of quest would be the Seven Mothers reincarnating the
> Red Goddess. Unless someone did that in the past, they had to do that one on
> their own.
> If anyone has comments or ideas I would love to hear them. Thanks for
> you time.

> Heroes who HQ their own paths are rife in the third age of Glorantha, the best
> known is perhaps Argrath (whom I presume is the same as Garyunder of the Seven
> Storms.) When I met him at Gencon this year, Greg told me something very important
> about Illumination and the interaction between the Gods and mortals...when you
> initoate intio a cult, you make a deal with the God. "If you do this and live this
> way, I'll protect you", says the God or Goddess. When you become illuminated, you
> can see everything, like seeing all sides of a box. Therefore, you can go outside
> of that God's path, However, when you do that, you loose that god's protection.

Find out what passions drive the characters, and design dangerous quests for them. The advantage of a Quest that has been performed many times is that the Quester knows exactly what to expect...When you blaze your own path, you're on your own, and get rewards consummerate with the risks. What are the backgrounds of your characters? (please send in private e-mail, unless you want to share with the list.)

Chris Bell
argrath_at_ix.netcom.com