What a hornet's nest!

From: Ashley Munday <Ashley.Munday_at_liffe.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 11:36:00 +0100

Bugger I, what have I stirred up?

I said: "Think of Illumination as being the realisation that everything you've been told isn't quite as black and white as you thought."

Trotsky replied: "I think there must be a lot more to it than that. Reaching that realisation isn't particularly difficult for somebody with wide enough experience, which doesn't seem to be how most people become Illuminated."

People in Ancient (nay, even Medieval) Societies didn't have that sort of wide experience. Even in Glorantha (it seems to me anyway!) most people stay welded to the place they're born with few exceptions and question the status quo about as often as a member of the SS.

He continues: "Another example of what you're saying might be a Humakti deciding he didn't need to keep his geases - as soon as he realises this can be done (and he only has to observe an existing Illuminated Humakti to figure this one out), hey presto, the geases no longer apply."

So why wouldn't observing an Illuminated Humakti breaking his geases count as a riddle then? That'd be a good candidate for a Religious Lore or Human Lore riddle: "How am you tied to your God?" Answer: "I am not, I am my own person." The geases would still apply until he was Illuminated as the Humakti aspirant would still believe they applied. He concludes:

He concludes: "...if you want to make Illumination a basically mundane..."

Whoaaa Tex! There's nothing mundane about that POV. Michael Cule uses a couple of quotes to show that dogma, or a belief framework, is necessary for most people. If Illumination is total free thinking, then they've freed themselves from a large part of what makes them human. They've transcended (I couldn't resist using this word here) their humanity and sure ain't mundane.

Frank said: "I think illumination is exactly the opposite of what people thing; you do not trancend the world, you are more deeply immershed in the world. I think illumination is to be devoured by a spider. How is that for a riddling opinion? :)"

I like the idea of becoming more entangled / immersed in Glorantha. ~ Makes note to nick that idea at the first opportunity. ~

Down with the little Budha clones spouting Zen bollocks! Forward the humanists!

Aesc