Re: Future Glorantha vs. Real Glorantha

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 19:58:10 +0100

Jane wrote:

> If Future Glorantha has Orlanth as yet another authoritarian bigot and
> makes official rules that 52% of the population can't be allowed to do
> anything fun, then Future Glorantha and I will part company. Real Glor-
> antha and I will carry on together.

And Tom Merchant speaks similar sooth.

I couldn't agree more with the sentiment expressed in these posts. While my own stamping grounds (the Lunar Empire, the Malkioni West, and the Sun Dome Temple) are far removed from all this Orlanthi chauvinist/authoritarian hurly-burly, I have no intention of abandoning the fertile and productive Glorantha we have all co-created over the last decade or so, just if some hypothetical future Gloranthan product turns out to be an abomination of desolation.

Not, I stress, that I believe this will happen. (Unless the revisionist Hindu/Hittite interpretation of the Lunars is taken to absurd extremes, that is... :-). The drafts I have seen for "Hero Wars" are rollicking good fun, not the turgid myth-mash of recent "work-in-progress" Staffordian manuscripts. I think the spirit of Glorantha is better expressed in the latest draft of the new game than in any previous rules. (Not quite as evocative as the CoT Cosmology or the Zero Wane History, but then how can you improve on perfection?). I wish Issaries, Inc. every creative and financial success, and am delighted that Glorantha has found a dedicated publisher.

But if "Hero Wars" (or any other Issaries, Inc. product) *did* suck, I would not see the publication of new, bad, uninteresting, useless, "official" material as a good reason to ditch the familiar, good, fun, useful, unofficial stuff that we've all been generating and gaming with for many years.

To put it another way: no Lunar in any of *my* games would call Moonson "Takenegi"!

All Hail the Reaching Moon,

Nick
:::: web: <http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Nick_Brooke>