Orlanth, Glorantha and Fun

From: Tarry Higgins <taz_at_cix.compulink.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 98 00:41 BST-1

If a woman (player character who makes the grade) really wants to be an Orlanthi Wind Lord, then she _is_ going to be an Orlanthi Wind Lord. And any idiot man who says she isn't is going to be chopped up by her adventuring buddies. It's dead simple. The stand around the High Priest and point one thing out to him.

"Violence is always an option."

Either he agrees that next High Holy Day you are made up to Wind Lord (and you maker damn sure that he swears it) or the temple will be looking for another High Priest. Of course it's almost certain that this new Wind Lord will be sent out on a very dangerous mission to prove themselves and told that if they fail then they will be stripped of status, cast out etc, but you take the rough with the smooth.

Glorantha (and roleplayin) is about having fun, about roaming around the world (or your farm if you must) sticking your nose into where it isn't wanted and dealing with the concequences. Old fasioned roleplaying (finding bad guys and kicking them in, doing missions for the cult, exploring strange (and dangerous) areas etc) is damn good fun. Things that mitigate against this fun should be resisted root and branch.

Sure, lets try to make things realistic, but remeber that it's a game and that we all want to have fun. When realism and fun meet, sling realism straight out of the window and go for fun.

p.s. Oh and as for for Humakti Death Lords. I'm a Sword. Anyone goes around calling me a Death Lord is not going to regret it very long. Humakti Death Lords - sounds like you are some sort of God Learner trying to make all of the warrior cults the same or something, are you trying to turn honourable Humaktis, the greatest warriors in Glorantha into mindless crude, merciless trollish butchers? Zorak Zorani are Death Lords, not us

Nobody goes around insulting Humaktis like that unless they are looking for trouble, and you *will* find it. BY my blade I swear it will be so.

General Taz,