More sexist harassment.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 03:56:07 +0100 (BST)

Trotsky:
> Second, there remains the more general issue of how much HW will restrict
> certain powers (not necessarily just thunderous ones) to specific genders,
> which seems somewhat contrary to Orlanthi belief.

Let's note first of all that Orlanthi are not sexism-free zones. They indeed have "stereotyped" gender roles, their main saving grace being that they say qualify their prejudices with "Hey, I could be wrong here, I'm only saying..." And that their gender roles are fairly "balanced", notionally.

Official word from KoS is merely that "many sacral and most political" posts are not gender determined. So looking at this negatively, "many sacrel and some political" posts _are_ gender determined.

Having said all that, though, I'm firmly of the view that one of the few absolutes about Orlanthi culture is that there are few absolutes about Orlanthi culture. So any time anyone presents you with an apparent absolute, a healthy reaction in my book is: There is always another way / No one can make you do anything / Oh yeah?

Jeff learns to stop worrying and love vile proto-fascists and philosophers.

> maybe I should have that written on business cards.

A weaker man than I would be making a "lawyer" joke around about now. ;-) Anyway, if you do, save a few for me -- I think jack-boots and moodilytilted  beret could be a look with a _lot_ of potential.

I feel guilty about making the following observation, and not just in case Pam has had a tough week at the evil hands of a car dealer.

(I feel no need for restraint in this case -- How can you tell if a used car salesman is lying? His lips generally move.)

Pam Carlson writes:

> Wachaza pirate

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Wachaza-worshipping pirates are a Known phenomenon. Ratuki, Tsankthi, Fog Pirates, Trowjanji amazons, all yes, but not really Wachaza, AFAIK. Well, unless you get eaten by a bunch of merfolk or sunk by a God Learner war fleet, but _techically_ that's not quite piracy, per se. (Cold comfort at the time, I imagine.) Unless I haven't heard about some such chaps I, of course, which would by no means displease me.

Sorry about that, that was unusually pedantic and tangential, even by my standards.

> Ernalda rocks.

Shurely, "Ernalda earths"?

Slainte,
Alex.