Re: heroquesting

From: Kevin Rose <vladt_at_interaccess.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 23:11:11 -0500 (CDT)

Philip R. Hammar wrote:
>>But it doesn't handle free form heroquesting.  Not because it cannot
>>mechanically, but because the missing part is a very detailed idea of
>>how the heroplane/godplane works and what are the assorted hero paths.

> How the heroplane/godplane works is described in Joeseph Cambell's
> "The Hero with a Thousand Faces." This book also gives a good
> description various templates for what a hero path looks like, why they
> succeeed, and why they fail. Well, if you read it with the thought of
> looking for these answers, it does. (It also provides an explaination
> of illumination in the second part of the book.)

Ok, then a simple question to be answered using "Hero of a Thousand Faces". Assume that there exists this item, the Divince cup of victory and it is guarded by a pair of powerful guardians. How many cults get screwed over by someone annihilating the guardians and stealing the divine cup of vistory? What are they and how will this effect them in the mundane world? Which cults are the most likey to interfere with this plan? What are the benefits and disadvantages to stealing the cup vs just drinking from it, which is what you are supposed to do in the myth?

Maybe you can figure it out from "Hero of a Thousand Faces", but I don't think I can. From what I remember, Cambell did not seem to worry about how hero paths from multiple cultures could intersect and intertwine around each other and the effects of these interactions, which is what I see as the critical issue. Realisticly, you have to make up almost everything to answer these sorts of question, as no real information exists. And these are exactly what free form heroquesting will bring up, again and again.

Some people might be comfortable making up the entire mythology of Glorantha, scene by scene. But I can't imagine it being very easy to keep all the balls in the air. And you will find yourself being contradicted by new material quite often. I'm sure it would be fun to play, but it would seem likely to be hell to run it and maintain consistancy.

Kevin