Re: Illumination

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 14:38:10 EDT

Tarry Higgins:

<< Ultimatly I've decided that in my Glorantha illumination means that you
know that cult spirits will not come and get you if you break cult vows. It makes you immume to the magical retaliation of your cult, and you know that you are immune.>>

     That's certainly an effect of Illumination, but it doesn't address the question of where the immunity from cult spirits comes from in the first place.

<< You can also recognise other illuminates as well>>

    And many other things besides - at least in official Glorantha, although not necessarily yours ;-)

 Frank Rafaelson seems to think he disagrees with me:

<<Well there is the debated-to-death case of Oddi the Keen who is illuminated without knowing it. Only when his storm bull senses fail him do he realise that he is illuminated.>>

     Which would rather support my contention that Illumination isn't simply a point of view about the nature of good and evil, ways of behaviour etc. How can you hold a particular point of view without realising you hold it? Tricky, one would have thought.

Forward the glorious Red Army!
Trotsky