Arkat's lifespan

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 10:03:40 +1200 (NZST)

Simon Phipp:

I only noticed this when someone else quoted it.

>I remember reading when RQ3 came out that Arkat lived for 75 years
>and that his War was compressed from the timeline in RQ2 Cults of
>Terror.

Incorrect. Cults of Terror merely states that "The War against Gbaji had lasted 75 years" and that Arkat retired to a farm for his "other 75 years".

The length of the Gbaji struggle has not changed in RQ3 and is still as long as it ever was (375 ST to 450 ST). Arkat is still born at the Sunstop. What has changed is his lifespan after the Gbaji wars which has him apotheosizing 25 years later. Moreover the notion of the farm was already changed dramatically with (RQ2) Trollpak which said "Arkat the Savior settled in Ralios after he finished his war. There he begat a kingdom later called the Dark Empire".

Given that much of the history of Imperial age Ralios is so obscure and the Dark Empire was slandered afterwards, one is moved to wonder whether or this is really a massive Greg to one's perception and enjoyment of glorantha that forces the selling of one's worldly posessions and retirement to a monastery.