Re: Humakti/illumination

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 10:42:09 +0100

Richard Ohlson :

>On a different note, we all know that (most, if not all) illuminates
get to >shrug off cult restrictions. However, is there a chance that they would >also lose their corresponding gifts? I mean, does the gift come from the >god, who has to set there and think about it and keep the gift going? Or >is it a kind of magic that relies upon the behavior to maintain it? For >instance, if you stop saying the words for you bladesharp, it'll stop >working, right? If on the other handa god is activly maintaining the >geas, wouldn't he have to maintain the gift also?

No, the illuminate gets to keep the gift. Illuminates have a personal relationship with the divine world that circumvents the normal theist's subservience to their deity. This is because illumination is a mystical insight, so it follows the 'rules' of mysticism , which sees manifest deities as worldly rather than truly transcendent.

Simon Hibbs

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #208