Vinga

From: Bryan Maloney <bjm10_at_cornell.edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 10:32:36 -0400 (EDT)

>Thank you, Pam, for a nice explanation of how things work and are gamable.
>I'm not
>too sure myself that I'd describe Vinga as "just like a man": she fights,
>but in her

Well, it just so happens, to toot me own horn, that I've got a description of Vinga up on-line again at
http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/bjm10/vinga.html. It's in that nasty, wasty, icky, 'orrid, vile, evil, execreble, Gregged out of existence "RuneQuest" (dare I say the word?) format, but I will probably give it a HW treatment once the new game gets published. It also manages to make Vinga excessively non-submissive and non-subsidiary to Orlanth, according to some people. My Vinga is not "just like a man".

>"Vinga has not appeared in any official publications" - define what you
>mean by
>"official" and I might be interested, but I doubt it. It's not a word I find

Agreed. Also, Vinga has been mentioned in King of Sartar, and that's enough for me. Nothing compels us to treat every word from Chaosium as the only possible truth. Nothing compels us to never do anything until it gets some kind of official imprimis from Chaosium. Chaosium's Glorantha is merely ONE archaeological/historical *RECONSTRUCTION* of Glorantha from incomplete and contradictory materials, after all...

>aspects of Ernalda to do with being pregnant. Fine. What I still don't
>have is any
>idea what male potency has to do with Wind or Thunder. Rain I might just
>about

My wife could certainly find a connection between male behavior and Wind and Thunder. "Men--big noise, lots of air."

>Otherwise, I agree with all 6K of it. But I _still_ think that women
>can gain full access to storm powers (by hook, or by crook).

Who needs 'em? Any good Red Woman sufficiently in her cups will tell ya that their little brother (Orlanth) loves to play with his storm toys, but a true warrior of wit and courage doesn't need them to triumph.