Always in trouble

From: Richard Meints <rmeints_at_ford.com>
Date: 23 Sep 1998 09:31:26 -0400

Hello,
to: Glorantha_at_chaosium.com

Jane Williams wonders about the concept of "always" re: Hero Wars...

Robin Laws has said it's OK to speak of the game, so I will, albeit briefly. FWIW, I've been one of the playtesters since the first draft. Basically, there are two main forms of character creation:

  1. Write 100 words (more or less) describing your character.
  2. Use keywords that you pick from various lists, and then round out the character with a few extra descriptive sentences.

Keywords have groups of abilities that come with them. Using the keywords "Orlanthi" and "weaponthane" will give you a base set of skills and spells that the average orlanthi weaponthane would have. Saves a lot of writing.

In playtest, most players have very quickly gotten used to and liked the concept. No dice rolls, just your imagination coupled with lists to help give you shortcuts or food for thought. Eventually, most of the players in my group go for the combination of the two creation methods. They write a 100 word (or so) paragraph that combines keywords with extra descriptive detail. If people use descriptions that would create a far too powerful character, the GM has guidelines to make them realistic.

Why I used the word "always"...

The character creation methods have not radically changed as the rules have gone through their various revisions. Many people, especially on the digest, have the impression that the HW rules have radically changed repeatedly. This isn't really the case. "Fleshed out" is a better way of looking at how the rules have evolved.

In the end, the rules are quick, simple, and fairly consistent. I've enjoyed every Hero Wars session I've ever played in. It brings Glorantha alive more than any other system. Being a "grognard" that started with RQ1, moved on to RQ2, then RQ3, and dabbled with RQIV and most of the other proposed variants/updates, I like what the future holds.

Lastly: Hero Wars won't destroy your current campaign. You will have a game that can operate on all levels of play, not just the "Hero" level. Any character can be created at any level of power, including the "start with nothing" beginning types, with only a few very simple adjustments.

I feel lucky to have been a part of the playtest. Please don't assume that my above comments/info are me trying to brag, show off or be a condescending know-it-all from the Inner Circle(tm). I'm not. I save all that for private email... :-)

Take Care,
Rick Meints, Education, Training & Development, 8-737-2126 Mobile: 0976-686-454 Internet: RMeints_at_ford.com

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #209