Re: Wachaza pirates

From: Nils Weinander <nilsw_at_ibm.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 08:54:28 +0200

Alex:

> > Come on, there must surely be pirates who give a
> > prayer and a sacrifice or three to Wachaza, as
> > well as to a bunch of other deities.
>
> I'm not sure Wachaza is such a great god if you're just a Dabbler...

That is a good point.

> Not that's I'm asserting that _no-one_ piratical worships him; in
> fact, I was sort of hoping that some one would lob up and propound
> some elaborately detailed and exotic bunch of pirates who do...

What about this: only the most dedicated warriors among pirates worship Wachaza. Those who would be Humakti if they had solid ground under their feet. The psychotic maniacs with a real death wish.

> Of course, Ysabbau assuredly do, if no-one else. Though technically
> they're not pirates, per se -- they don't want to _rob_ you, just
> screw you over any way they possibly can think of. It's also possible
> that Ludoch and Malasp work in concert with human raiders, in which
> a Wachaza (or Magasta) would be quite likely as an object of joint
> worship.

All plausible. There are probably Wachaza worshippers among all these mermen (in various numbers, far more Ysabbau than Ludoch, no Ouoroi and Zabdamar).

> > I have a hard time seeing pirates as the devout religious
> > types, dedicating themselves to a single deity.
>
> Well, one hardly has to be Pious to be Dedicated, as anyone who's
> had their leg chewed off by a Ratuki will testify.

The question then is, what's the object of dedication?

Nils Weinander | Everything is dust in the wind nilsw_at_ibm.net | http://www.geocities.com/Paris/8689/