Re: HW Character Gen

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 08:26:21 +0100

Trotsky asks:

> Much has been said on the Digest about the 100-word freeform character
> generation system. I don't want to start a debate on the pros and cons
> of that, but suffice to say it doesn't really appeal to me. But that's OK,
> because apparently there's an alternative character generation system in
> the game, and possibly more than one. I'd be interested to know what the
> playtesters can tell me about it,

The "alternative" system (which I prefer, and which surely worked faster for the players with no previous Gloranthan experience in our playtest session than the "100-word essay" method could have done!) goes something like this:

Pick a character type from the templates available. These are called "keywords". Each is a lengthy description of a type of character (e.g. Orlanthi Weaponthane, Argan Argar Night Guardian, Kralorelan Eagle Claw Monk, Dara Happan Officer), with their basic abilities and magic.

Then add any four other abilities, free choice. Lists of suggested common abilities are provided, or you can make up something weird and unique if you prefer.

And that's your starting character!

So, you want a Vingan with Storm powers? Sure, you can have one: keyword "Vingan Warrior" (abilities: close combat, archery, leadership, horsemanship, magic from Orlanth the Warrior). Write down "Storm Magic" as one of your extra four abilities. Bingo! And you still have three extra abilities to pick and choose...

HW also has a "make it up as you go along" character generation system, called the "quick start" method: this is when you begin play with just a keyword template, and can write down what your extra abilities are when you think of them, or when they become handy. We haven't tried this one out in playtest, though.

Nick
:::: web: <http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Nick_Brooke>