Re: Hero Wars

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 11:01:45 -0800

Trotsky wrote:

> I hadn't realised those were supposed to be different forms of character
> generation

Yes, Hero Wars has a "just write some abilities" approach for those who think they can't write 100 words. In the most recent draft I've seen, however, you get a much better character if you can write.

I admit I approached the 100 words with trepidation the first time, as did many of our group, but it's not nearly as bad as it may seem -- a feeling shared by others in our group. (I can't speak for those whose problem is "what do you mean, only 100 words?")

(The amount of space devoted to the text-based system has dropped substantially over different drafts, but it has never gone away, and is in my opinion a strong point of the game.)

With neither system do you need to complete a character before play! A refreshing antidote to all the "must spreadsheet entire character concept before you can do anything" games. I have used the quick start method (as GM), and it works quite well.

> the capability of the GM to control the rate
> at which PCs advance in ability is just as crucial as being able to start
>them
> off at a satisfactory level.

The two local GMs each use a different rate (admittedly, one using a rules variant, but it's not at all a big deal). You can run the Glorantha you want to.

> I think the idea
> of doing away with building-by-building descriptions of cities (as Robin has
> stated a couple of times) is a regrettable one, if hardly disastrous.

Hmm, a comment I had on a draft of the Sartar book was to get rid of the building-by-building description of Boldhome. Of course, I thought the article on abstracting cities (essentially turning them into directed graphs, with lines between locations labelled in travel time) in a long-ago Different Worlds was absolute brilliance.

BTW, I keep saying "draft" for a reason -- I suspect there are lots of details which are going to change. I don't think any of us have seen anything that's been edited. (It's possible the 100 words bit won't survive.)

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #211