Thunderous Magics in HERO WARS

From: Michael Schwartz <mschwartz_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 98 12:10:28 -0400

David Cake wrote:

>Orlanth Thunderous is a magic package. Storm Voice is a keyword
>that happens to have that magic package. OT magic is compatible
>with Vinga magic, but the social role of Storm Voice is male. If
>there is no social role that gives women OT magic, but it is never-
>theless compatible, then we appear to have satisfied Jane...
>Thunderous women are rare and odd, but certainly exist.

And to prove this to Jane (and other doubters) categorically:

The Vingan Warrior keyword has the Orlanth the Warrior magic package (combat and movement magics). Included in every magic package is a list of Associated Deities upon whose magics the character can call at a flat 12/8 ability (which cannot be improved). Thus, characters with the Orlanth the Warrior magic package are able to additionally call upon the magics of Alakoring Dragonbreaker, Chalana Arroy, Daka Fal, Ernalda, Elmal, Eurmal, Hedkoranth, Heler, Issaries, Lhankor Mhy, Mastakos, Minlister, other Orlanth aspects (Farmer, Thunderous and Rex), Vinga, Vingkot and Yinkin.

Our Vingan Warrior (and her pal, an Orlanthi Weaponthane) *can* call upon Orlanth's thunder powers, just not easily without some ritual preparation beforehand. Likewise, a Storm Voice could call upon Orlanth's movement powers if needed

It is also possible for characters to have peripheral magic, single feats of magic (rather than broad abilities) unrelated to the magic package(s) the character might possess. Thus, our Vingan Warrior might choose to have "call lightning down on foes" or "summon sylphs and wind spirits" (from the Orlanth Thunderous storm magics). Peripheral magic has limitations; our Vingan might only be able to call down lighting upon the traditional foes of her clan, for example, or summon sylphs and wind spirits on completely overcast days.

In the playtest characters I forwarded to the list, Naglefang Wind-rider has the peripheral magic "ride upon the wind" (i.e., fly), which is a feat of movement magic known by Orlanth and Mastakos. While not expressly stated, Peter and I mutually agreed that he could only do this in a strong wind. The feat should probably been expressed as "fly on strong winds" but, as "Wind-rider" was the character's intended nickname, I let it stand as is. While Naglefang could theoretically fly using his Associate Deities connection, Peter wanted an ability he could improve despite its limitation.

>Some magic packages are possessed by several keywords; for example,
>Helerites also have [the] Orlanth Thunderous [magic package].

The Helerite Rain-Caller keyword actually has *two* magic packages: that of Heler (combat, rain and weapons magic) as a main ability, and that of Orlanth Thunderous (storm and wind magic only, however) as a sideline ability. Having more than one magic package does lessen one's ability in both (the whys-and-wherefores being expressed by the theory of the One and the Many, one of the underlying principles governing magic in Glorantha), though one can opt to drop the second package in order to retain one's focus.

Michael Schwartz mschwartz_at_mindspring.com Ann Arbor, MI USA

"I've always said you can get more with a kind word and a two-by-four than with a kind word alone." -- Marcus Cole, Babylon 5