Re: aspects of Orlanth

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 11:33:52 -0800

Ashley Munday

> I have a few theories as to why Orlanth has so many aspects:

I'd theorize that it's in part because at the Dawn there were a lot of cultures who worshipped Storm in some aspect. They all ended up worshipping Orlanth (who is after all a pretty major god -- his body is the air) but they kept their own specific touches. Or rather, all the differences were *included* instead of being ignored.

Of course, Orlanth is far from the only multi-aspect god. Issaries has four (Spare Grain, Middleman, Trader Prince, and Herald). Five if you count Desert Trackers (sort of a sub-aspect).

No doubt there are economies of scale to combining such aspects. The Spare Grain devotees can share a structure with the Middlemen, and take roles in each other's ceremonies. Everyone benefits. Heck, you might even get inspired to do the same with totally different deities, and get pantheon worship or something.