Healers and Associates.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 00:01:16 +0100 (BST)

Robert: (McA?)
> I suspect CA requires users of her spells (or learners of her spells
> depending on how you view spells) to adhere to some, maybe lesser,
> vows/guidelines like her initiates priests and acolytes.

Pam: (C)
> Sure - for those who get healing spells through CA shrines. If you get
> them at the Ernalda shrine, you're much more free to whomp your enemies....
> (especially if you return to Ernalda some of the spoils).

The original message was talking about CA magic and CA "associate" magic, though. If you get CA associate magic at an Ernalda temple (as distinct from getting Ernaldan magic there, of course), then effectively you're getting it from a CA shrine that just happens to be inside said temple. In such cases, I think the "conditions" pertaining to getting ones grubby paws on the spells depend on who you are (a Healer, or an initiate of an associate), rather than where the granting shrine happens to be.

Abstractly, the "conditions" for an associate would amount to "be a good initiate of your god" (Orlanthi, say), since that's what the association is based on, not being a mini-Healer (say) yourself. A more refined view would be that means being a good Orlanthi from the PoV of CA, as defined by the characteristic myth of their association (or more particularly yet, the spell that gets granted). In other words, act in the way Healers expect (their idea of) "a good Orlanthi" to act -- which is different from, and in extremis diametrically opposed to how they'd require one of their own to act.

Sandy:
> When an Orlanthi decides to join another, more specialized cult, [...]
> he doesn't exactly lose his former initiate status, but the new
> faith sort of subsumes the old one. Thus, a Sartarite Lhankor Mhy
> worshiper is still part of the Orlanth religion, and he is welcome to
> attend Orlanth worship services. However, his own cult restrictions
> replace the old ones, and he is not considered apostate if he _doesn't_
> attend Orlanth services, pay tithing, etc..

In crude rules terms, this seem to be simply that he _does_ lose his initiate status, but remains a associate worshipper. This is perhaps to simplify a little, as I'm sure there's a difference in attitude towards a Stranger healer than there is to one from your own tribe, but it seems a statisfactory account for most purposes.

Slainte,
Alex.