Re: Let's get ready to fuuuuuuuuumbllllllllle!

From: Michael Schwartz <mschwartz_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 98 20:29:13 -0400

Alex Ferguson, in response to Nick Brooke, writes:

>> The Humakti Death Lord attempted a fancy maneuver to take out one
>> of the peasants, botched it spectacularly and was knocked down.
>
>Doubly embarrassing, but not actually possible. The worst you can do
>in this situation is to roll a "1" -- "Big Failure", which gets bumped
>up to Failure.

Player-characters receive no, repeat NO, bump-up versus "ordinary" characters, unless they have one or more mastery levels in excess of their opponents. The *sample characters* from the various convention games (based on a very early draft of the rules) all had one or more mastery levels, theoretically, hence the bump-up noted by Nick. This "free mastery level vs. ordinary characters" is not found in the most recent draft.

ONE LAST TIME: PLAYER-CHARACTERS *ONLY* RECEIVE A BUMP-UP IF THEY HAVE MORE MASTERY LEVELS THAN THEIR OPPONENTS, OR SPEND A PLOT POINT (PER EXCHANGE) IN THE COURSE OF PLAY FOR THAT PURPOSE. Michael Schwartz mschwartz_at_mindspring.com Ann Arbor, MI USA

"I've always said you can get more with a kind word and a two-by-four than with a kind word alone." -- Marcus Cole, Babylon 5