Combatting Subliminal Grognardism

From: Michael Schwartz <mschwartz_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 98 02:44:16 -0400

Michael Cule wrote:

>Take the damn Status Point mechanic and give it a *real playtest*!
>Throw it at some idiot players, some conservative players and some
>cynical players and see what you get. Better yet dump it entirely...

Our playtest mix of cynical, conservative idiots rather *liked* the Status Point mechanic, especially after discovering how versatile it could be. That combat was no longer the only dramatic, edge-of-your-seat sort of activity available impressed them all immensely. Not a one had trouble understanding the concept, and not a one felt it detracted from roleplay.

In fact, it impressed my group so much they want me to use it for our forthcoming Tekumel campaign, as well as any future Gloranthan play we do. I guess Mr. Cule does not see blind playtesting as sufficient means to determine how easily a mechanic might be comprehended by players of all walks. What do you suppose he think is a "real playtest"? One which confirms his own views? Hmmm...

Michael Schwartz mschwartz_at_mindspring.com Ann Arbor, MI USA

"I've always said you can get more with a kind word and a two-by-four than with a kind word alone." -- Marcus Cole, Babylon 5