Re: Playtest Characters (long)

From: Michael Schwartz <mschwartz_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 98 08:01:48 -0400

Trotsky gratefully writes:

>GENERAL COMMENTS
>1) The characters seem to be rather more powerful than would have
> been created using the the keyword + four abilities method...

Yes, which is why the descriptive method is preferable to the point-form method. Yes, the descriptive method rewards those who have imagination, and the point-form method should be tweaked to give those not as handy with their words an even break. I would recommend point-form characters be given eight additional abilities, as even the descriptive example in the rulebook manages eight abilities.

>2) All the keywords here are equivalent to RQ 'rune levels'...
>3) I'm guessing that some abilities are 6/14 because the keyword
> says so...

Beginning HERO WARS characters are not really rune-level equivalents at all. While they have decent magic, performing magic is *much* more difficult and ritual preparation is the order of the day. Some magic is so difficult you'd need multiple mastery levels to succeed in most instances.

Beginning abilitiies are rated as follows: 6/14 for the character's core concept, and 8/12 for any sideline abilities. If the core concept is a keyword, the main abilities of that keyword are rated at 6/14, and the sideline abilities at 8/12.

>Mental/Physical ABILITIES
>1) What is the difference in rules terms between:

I'll point out that there are no "rules" governing these terms, unless the game moderator chooses to award modifiers for more- or less-appropriate abilities. I use the definitions straight out of the dictionary to determine the nuances, if required, as much is left to interpretation by the individual game moderator.

>good memory and wise

"Good memory" implies a capacity to recall of facts, details, names, etc.; "wise" implies common sense, prudence and good judgement.

EXEMPLI GRATIA: Bactra put his good memory to use to recall details of the foundation plans for the Temple of the Household of Death that he had seen in a Mostali blueprint.

>tenacious and determined

"Tenacious" implies persistence and a stubborn nature; "determined" implies a steadfast and unyielding nature. Either could be used to avoid being swayed in an argument but, to stand firm in combat, only "determined" would suffice in my mind.

>cunning, resourceful and quick-thinking

"Cunning" implies shrewdness, ingenuity and guile; "resourceful" implies a capability to improvise solutions or discover needed supplies quickly; "quick-thinking" implies speed of thought and perception.

>agility, fleet-footed and nimble?

"Agile" and "nimble", somewhat interchangable really, imply rapidity and ease of reaction; "fleet-footed" implies out-and-out running speed.

>2) And when on Earth would you make rolls against the following,
> and what would be the results of success/failure?

Here are examples from our playtest campaign, for your perusal.

>tenacious...

Enamoured and unwilling to take no for an answer, Merlar again and again attempts to seduce fair Gudrun, until she finally agrees to sleep with him just to be rid of this love-sotted ne'er-do-well.

>determined...

Sent to Heortland as King Broyan's liaison to the Cold Wind Movement, Kelulf is caught up in the Hendriki uprising and given the honor of guarding the rebels' escape. Though driven nigh insane by the lunes sent after the retreating Hendriki, Kelulf wills himself to hold his post until his allies escape, or Humakt call him to join his einherjar.

>belligerent...

A Lunar informant is found among the anti-Lunar Sharpsword Clan, and Kelulf dispatches the fellow with nary a pause. Shocked by the sudden violence, Bactra demands Kelulf explain his actions. Kelulf growls "Oh yeah? Make me." and gives the erstwhile sage a forceful shove. Though Bactra cites numerous legends and stories concerning the deleterious effects which a kinslaying might have on the clan's prosperity, Kelulf's continued bullying wins out.

>quick-thinking, resourceful...

Ambushed by Lunar assassins on his way to a Cold Wind meeting in the company of Sarostip Cold-eye, Kelulf is able to draw his sword and interpose himself between the assailants and his patron. Later, faced with the necessity of disguising the characters that they might sneak into Boldhome without being recognized (Merlar and Heordan both having reputations likely to get them pulled in for questioning), Kelulf finds suitable clothing and assorted other trappings for them along the road.

>unpredictable, cunning...

While fighting in defense of the Sharpsword tula against an incursion from the Upland Marsh, Merlar discovers himself in close combat with a Daughter of Darkness, one of Delecti's nasty yet alluring vampire minions. Finding his combat magic ineffective against her, he opts for the biggest surprise he can think of... he kisses her full on the lips. As a look of inhuman lust spreads across her face, Merlar coyly lures her away from the battle. Deprived of their controller, the zombies cease being an effective force and are quickly dispatched by the clan fyrd and weaponthanes.

>wise...

So that the characters might gain the catacombs beneath the Temple of the Household of Death, where they intended to conduct a grim ritual in order to slay Temertain, Heordan convinces a band of rash Cold Wind rebels of the good sense of diverting Lunar attention by holding the Humakt High Holy Day service outside Boldhome (rather than in the Temple) with Thufir Two-sword presiding in Heordan's place. This frees him to lead the ritual.

>3) I note that some characters have 'Close Combat', while others have
> 'Quarterstaff Combat' or 'Swordsmanship'...

Technically speaking, the characters could all have just chosen "close combat" rather than specific weapon skills, but the players in question felt that doing so would not fit their character conceptions.

>What would prevent anybody from writing 'skilled in all weapons' on
>their character write-up?

Absolutely nothing, except a sense of proportion (something a recent message following up my character posting lacked... no further comment) and the need to have it approved by the game moderator.

>SKILLS/EXOTIC ABILITIES
>1) 'Speak many languages' seems a bit vague.

It is vague, yes, being something more of a benefit of Bactra's cosmopolitan lifestyle and journeys abroad. We did not actually record the specific languages, but decided that he knew several Theyalan tongues related to Sartarite (Tarshite, Heortlending, Old Pavic) plus Lunar at 8/12, and the nomad tongues (Grazelander and Praxian) plus Darktongue at 10/10.

>2) 'Cheat death' also seems alarmingly general. Is it just some sort
> of general luck ability?

"Cheat death" is technically a heroquest ability, representing the fact that Yinkin died and still did not let that get the better of him. Merlar can emulate his deity and make recovery rolls as if merely dying, even when he should by all rights be dead. We limited it by giving Merlar nine lives; if he fails to achieve at least a 20-point victory over death, he loses a life permanently and, when all nine are gone, he is dead for good.

>3) How come only one has 'lead [deity's] worship?

Any character with a magic package can *conduct* worship services. I consider "lead worship" to be something more... the character is an *acknowledged* religious leader. Heordan was the Chief Sword of the Sharpsword Clan, and a member of the clan's War Ring.

>GOALS & FLAWS
>I notice everyone has a goal, is this compulsory or just these
>characters? Does the goal have any game effect?

A goal statement of some form *is* required, although flaws are not. There is no game effect for either, save the story hooks they generate; there are no rules governing them.

>SUPPORTING CAST
>What, exactly does 'other concept' do?

Generally the player chooses two abilities for supporting cast characters. My players were not particularly inspired whenit came to their "goons", so we left second abilities blank pending development in the course of play. No one actually came up with any ideas before our playtest ended, however.

Michael Schwartz mschwartz_at_mindspring.com Ann Arbor, MI USA

"I've always said you can get more with a kind word and a two-by-four than with a kind word alone." -- Marcus Cole, Babylon 5