Vinga on Horse wit/a bow

From: Richard Ohlson <richo_at_epix.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 12:07:53 -0400

> Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 21:44:13 +0100
> From: "Jane Williams"
> Subject: Horse-riding Vingans?
>
> Was Nick quoting Official HW Draft here?
> "Vingan Warrior" (abilities: close combat, archery, leadership,
> horsemanship,..)
>
> Horsemanship? I've always wanted to give Vingans horse-riding
> expertise beyond the male warrior norm, as it makes better use of their
> lighter weight and lower strength in combat, but I've never managed to
> find a mythic reason for it. Same for Archery: it's efficient, but it's a
> solar weapon. Is this purely pragmatic Vingans doing the sensible
> thing, or do you have Mythic Backing?

Well Jane, just do what I do. In an obscure convent in an obscure corner of the world, a secret sect of Vingans uncover a document that describes a big battle where Vinga butchers a bunch of Yelmies, nick their bows, and then gets on a horse so she can ride to a battle that she is late for. Maybe she has an ally with here, who knows, but she gets there and there is a great chasm or she just won't get to the GOOD part of the battle in time. So, she whips out the bow, says, "what the heck, I can do this..." and starts pumping arrows into the combat. And if she strikes a lucky shot, you have a Vingan Myth that you can support a small group of Vinan Horse Archers, who laugh at the naivity of your PC's. "What, you don't ride horses? What, NO BOWS? Here, we have something to show you...."

Let me reiterate, I love the idea of different parts of Glorantha having different, and even conflicting myths. Stuff that makes the world interesting, even for players who *think* they know everything.

Rich

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #217