Re: HW stuff

From: Kevin Rose <vladt_at_interaccess.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 16:08:58 -0500 (CDT)

Alex wrote:
>> The clan creation stuff, for example, is fantastic.

>I, myself, am salivating at mere hints and second-hand accounts of
this.

I is very nice. If you have played RQ for a number of years and have some ideas what the heck is going on here. I'm not convinced people who are not familiar with Glorantha and Sartar will enjoy it, or have any real idea what is going on here. In particular, the history of Sarar is only provided in the GMs book, with the players getting a generic history of Glorantha. I'm sure that newbies can go through the process, but they may as well flip a coin.

I have to agree with Mike in that I would like to see how a playtest run by a group of gamers who have never played RQ or know anything about Glorantha would work. I suspect that they would get overwhelmed. In particular the GM will have an enormous amount of work to do. And not really the rescorces to do it with. I suspect the interpretation they make may not be that intended by the writer.

Any areas that the rules expect the GM to fill in, like the magic system, are likely to just appear as they are written. And they are written in a pretty colorless and boring way. And I'm by no means certain that this will make the world more appealing then one of TSRs worlds.

I think a more completely built quick start setting will be needed. Providing a prebuilt clan would help a lot, with enough detail that the GM can play for a while before they have to start creating the world.

I think a GM can improvise details and settings much more easily if your running Vampire than if you are playing Hero Wars. Everyone has seen a vampire movie, so there is a lot more shared frame of reference. This does not exist in HW, so more assistance from the game system is needed.

For people familiar with Glorantha I think it is fine. For people who are the target audience I am much less convinced. But I hope I'm wrong.

Kevin