Re: Hero Wars; cities

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 14:25:38 -0800

Michael Cule obviously has a problem with Hero Wars mechanics:

> Take the damn Status Point Mechanic and give it a *real playtest*!

Hmm, given we managed to figure it out simply by reading an early draft of the rules, and have been using it with seeming success for several months (for both mundane play and heroquests), what *would* constitute a real playtest?

It may or may not be to taste, but I think it works.

I will reply to Trotsky's specific question, at the peril of turning this into the Discuss Obsolete Draft mailing list:

> > One could have endless arguments about whether starting Hero Wars
>characters
> > are the same as "rune levels"

> Yes, I understand all this, but it doesn't really answer my question.
> I'll try and clarify it. When I read a phrase like "Olaf is a /Storm Voice of
> Orlanth/" I tend to assume that Olaf is, in fact, a Storm Voice of Orlanth.

And so would I.

> Whether or not, under the new rules, a Storm Voice requires broadly
> similar skills and/or power level as a RQ rune priest doesn't really
>bother me

Technically, there are no requirements for titles (which I hope changes). Not a problem in character creation, since you simply pick your title, but it would be nice to support a lower-level game better.

> My question refers to playing
> characters who are not yet Storm Voices, ...
> Would you do this by, in order of decreasing satisfaction:
> a) Using the keyword for "Orlanth Initiate" (or whatever the term may
> be).
> b) Re-writing the Storm Voice keyword yourself by reducing skill levels
> from 8/12 to 10/10 or 12/8, and/or chucking some out.

This'd be the easiest way to create an Orlanth Initiate keyword. One could also give the lower-level character fewer feats (the standard magic package comes with a bunch of feats; you can improvise others. By leaving them out, the beginning character would have a bit less versatility, since improvised feats are attempted at a penalty.).

> c) The question is meaningless. Under the new rules, the word "Storm
> Voice" is a generic term for any worshipper of Orlanth Thunderous, regardless
> of their ability.

It's a keyword for a specific set of abilities, but doesn't describe all worshippers.

I had several requests for more info on the abstract city descriptions. It's in Different Worlds 18 (Jan 1982), "Fast Towns" by Martin Connel. It describes "chronographs,"which consist of little squares (nodes) with lines between them representing the travel time between nodes. Depending on the sophistication of the town, each node will have a different number of important structures.