HW Characters.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 01:54:03 +0100 (BST)

I think the subtler problem with the 100-word chargen method, it would seem from the examples, is not so much as that it allows inherently ludicrous abilities -- any awake GM will stop those coming a mile off. Rather, I'd be more concerned at the apparent temptation to
"cram in" as many abilities as possible into the space allotted.
One of posted examples appeared to have about 17, not counting the Keyword and other schticks.

On the other hand, I like the idea of allowing lots of Pendragon-like
"abilities" (a la Traits and Passions), which can both be useful, and
bite one on the bum. So it'd be nice to see some guidelines as to how many "skills" one can have wia the 100-word method (maybe 4-6), whilst not being overly proscriptive about what one can do with the rest of one's "words". (Not a comment as such on the HW rules (or lack of rules) in this area, since I don't know what they are, were, are about to be, or will end being.)

Slan libh,
Alex.