Re: RQ rules discussion

From: Michael Schwartz <mschwartz_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 98 18:58:55 -0400

Bryan Maloney asks:

>Is it okay to discuss the details of the RuneQuest game system on this
>mailing list again, given the mechanic-oriented HW discussion now going
>on here?

There *is* a mailing list specifically dedicated to the RuneQuest rules, although if the focus of your content is Gloranthan in nature rather than simply tweaking the RQ rules for other purposes, as far as I'm concerned please fire away. The HERO WARS discussion are not terribly mechanics-oriented, given the "rules-lite" approach of the game, being intended as informative more than anything else.

Many people on the Digest did not have the opportunity to participate in the playtest and expressed curiosity about HERO WARS. Robin and Issaries have allowed us playtesters a great deal of latitude in discussing the game, given that we are technically bound by the non-disclosure agreements we signed.

Speaking of the playtest, here's a recommendation for folks who might want to do so in the future, not just for HERO WARS: just contact the developer of the game you wish to assist in playtesting. All I did was email Robin asking, "Hey, do you need any more playtesters?", and he told me he'd get back to me. A month or so later, he did.

I'm sorry just I did not ask sooner, as there was very little significant input left to make by the time my group became involved; at least we could recomend last-minute tweaks.

Michael Schwartz mschwartz_at_mindspring.com Ann Arbor, MI USA

"I've always said you can get more with a kind word and a two-by-four than with a kind word alone." -- Marcus Cole, Babylon 5