Hero Wars or Not Hero Wars

From: Ian Thomson <gpo.swin.edu.au_at_lucy.cc.swin.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 11:32:37 +0000

I was reading the list and arrived at the thought:

For me, playing RuneQuest is all about having a good pseudo-realistic system that allows players (through their characters) to explore existence and adventure in Glorantha

So, it is Glorantha that I like as such (rather than RQ) its rich mythology and history and geography, and overall weirdness and opportunity for adventure

whilst I don't like starting characters as total newbies (having rpg'ed now for 20 yrs!) I don't run heroic tales like characters are Conan, or even Elric, but they are minor heroes I guess, in that some of their adventures are epic and unusual (and historic events often unfold around them in which they have some little interaction)

And in the past I ran a campaign where the characters rose from this level to become well know rebel activists, but then they became so powerful it was actually good timing that UNI finished and the campaign ended

I like to run adventures where the characters walk a path between being heroes and being pawns tossed on the seas of fate (or should that be 'prawns'?)

perhaps in the style more of Hugh Cook's better books, and probably many others, even (heaven forbid) Lord of the Rings

I'll just reserve opinions about HW from now on and see if it will fit this bill

basically, will Hero Wars allow me to run Glorantha as I like it and as my players like it, or are they only super adventurers

this remains to be seen, as currently I don't have the information to consider this, only other people's comments

I like the rules I have now altho they are a bastardised form of RQ2/3 and Stormbringer I think (and other sources), rather than any official version of RQ

I didn't like the HW character descriptions we just saw, they read like something out of a computer game, whereas I run my Glorantha more like something out of the more literary and imaginative heroic fantasy novels

but, hey thats just me, and what do i know!! (rhetorical question) :)

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #220