RE: Orlanthi Holy Sites

From: Ian Gorlick <Ian.Gorlick.igorlick_at_nt.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 16:47:49 -0400

When I wrote up a Cinsina tribal election scenario, one of the candidates that I included was an old-time religionist. His platform included tearing down all the temple buildings and taking the worship of Orlanth back to the sacred groves and hill-tops.

I believe that the Sartari have become reasonably urbanized and their priests have gotten used to the comfort and profit of having the temples in the towns and cities. The old holy sites (primarily places where lightning strikes as Thomas Gottschall suggests) were largely neglected. The Lunar crackdown though has driven more people back to them because they are out in the wilderness where the Lunar garrisons can't supervise them.

There are probably lots of holy sites out there with fascinating spirit guardians and strange magics. Some may be completely forgotten and mysterious, others may be known only to one half-mad godi, some may still be well-known (and therefore are watched by Lunar spies).

Yes, there should be lots of gaming potential in such sites.

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #223