Re: HW comments

From: Kevin Rose <vladt_at_interaccess.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 02:37:40 -0500 (CDT)

Loren wrote:

> So, here are two of the senior NPCs in my carmanian
> campaign, who could never be described properly in pure roolz terms before.

Why was it not possible to do this before? The actual character abilities are skills and abilities, just as they are in RQ. Was there something restricting people from writing down fairly clear descriptions of what a character did or was motivated by?

Sure, you didn't get explicitly rewarded for it, but I always found it easier to play a character that had a physical description, some idea how they dress, why they chose to do what they do, and why they were wherever the game started at. I notice that these are mostly missing from most of the character write-ups.

I like Hero Wars. Some of it's ideas for hero questing are very cool and make the process much easier. The levels of mastery mechanic is outstanding. But the details of the character creation process is not my favorite part. Good idea, somewhat marred execution.

A basic difference between RQ and HW is that you can compare RQ to the movie "Aliens", while HW is the "A Team" TV show. In RQ death is an always possible outcome of any engagement if your are unlucky or the other guy is fairly lucky. But in HW you know that it is almost impossible for anything really bad to happen to you, as you are the cast. You can charge into the fight screaming and swinging axes, but you know at the end everyone (including the bad guys) will mostly just be bruised and tired.

Kevin