Bows and Orlanthi

From: Thomas Gottschall <Bloodtooth_at_gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 09:58:09 +0100

Hi everyone,

Jane Williams :

> [...] she can get them from Elmal. So why don't male warriors get them? I
> made a few
> hints in the write-up so far (Elmal doesn't trust his beautiful wife Hippoi
> to the blokes!), but how about Bow skills? Why don't all Orlanthi
> warriors get bow skills from Elmal, instead of messing about with the
> inferior javelin? I'm sure there's a good reason, but I've never figured out
> what it is.

I think there are multiple reasons why this could be. First (mundane explanation) most people agree that Elmali and Orlanthi display some healthy rivalry. This would let me think that if Orlanthi want to get bow skills they are discuraged to ask the Elmali. Then it's obvious that the Orlanthi think close combat is much more honourous than kiling your foe with an arrow. The javelin seems to be something in between, not like a sword but better than the bow. And then it symbolizes Orlanth's lightning. Now to the mystical stuff. At the hill of gold Elmal gets robbed of much by Orlanth but not of his bow. And though Elmal is Orlanth's loyal thane no one said they were expecially good friends or that they shared company in the Godtime. And maybe the best reason not to use bows as an Orlanthi is at page 66 of KoS. In the last contest Orlanth defeats Yelm's bow skills by drawing a sword : Death. And now for the rules. The Orlanth write-up in RoC says Orlanth gets nothing from Elmal. Seems that steeling Elmal's stuff should be enough.

Email : Bloodtooth_at_gmx.net
Enchanted Forest : http://home.pages.de/~Enchanted.Forest/

Let those who _wish_ the best for you never live too long, they are like poisonous pit snakes, waiting for the right moment to strike !" Irk, the Deadly - - Tergavi of the Dark Paw packs