Arching Orlanthi

From: bjm10_at_cornell.edu
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 10:35:34 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 27 Sep 1998, The Glorantha Digest wrote:

> There seem to have been worries about archery-using Orlanthi.

Not on my part, but I'm a heretic, anyway. However, I see it this way. I tend to view the Orlanthi as being a fusion culture, made up mostly of elements resembling Earth "Norse" *AND* Earth "Gaelic". I realize that the recent fad has been to lean towards the Gaelic flavor, but the Norse flavor has a long vintage. Anyway, the Norse, for all their "Cry 'Wotan!' and spreadeagle their king!" attitude to battle, were also longbowmen, at least according to what I've read here and there. The sagas don't talk about it much, since it doesn't make for as exciting a story.

I would say that the Orlanthi will use bows, but they don't make them into cultic objects, by and large.