what about Bob?

From: Steve Lieb <styopa_at_iname.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 12:17:32 -0500

>From: Michael Schwartz <mschwartz_at_mindspring.com> takes an entirely too
serious view:
>I guess Mr. Cule does not see blind playtesting as sufficient means
>to determine how easily a mechanic might be comprehended by
>players of all walks. What do you suppose he think is a "real playtest"?
>One which confirms his own views? Hmmm...

Probably more like one in which he is included. Like 99.99995% of the people on this list, he's probably never played the rules. I know it's killing me that it is going to me at least a year before we get to play these rules.

So, if a humorous comment about the playtest will get me included, consider it made (I can't think of one right now.)

Nick makes the obligatory "role playing purist" comment about Bob, the wonder character:
>(Though they do omit my own preferred method -- leaving people who try it on
>like that out of your games altogether).

But Nick, what's the point of RULES then? As I queried in my last email (sadly, I contributed my own cynical character before getting to this post - - oh well) EVERY game is subject to rules-lawyering and minmaxing. Some of us got into Glorantha BECAUSE RQ was less vulnerable to that. Not immune, just less vulnerable.

I have friends that are minmaxers. Good friends. Hell *I'm* a minmaxer when I'm feeling particularly mulish on a given day. But darn it, the point of having rules is to give people guidelines in which to work. Sure, you can tell your buddy to take a hike because he's a minmaxing arsehole. But wouldn't it just be simpler (and less socially limiting) to write a good set of rules? If you aren't going to set rules, why not just call it theatre? I don't *want* to play a LARP which is suspiciously what HW appears to be becoming. Call me a Philistine - I want to play a FRPG.

Some more stuff:
> > from 8/12 to 10/10 or whatever?

could someone at least explain what these numbers mean?

Further to the issue of the "text" character generation method (a novel and interesting idea) - what about the (sometimes radical) difference between the opinion a player has of his character (or the character has of himself) and the opinion of objective reality? I mean if I write in my charcter description that my character is handsome, is it because I think that, or because he IS?
I've always thought that was one of the best parts of roleplaying, reconciling your view of your "awesomely great" character with the reality that the trollkin just kicked your butt...

- -Steve Lieb
styopa_at_iname.com
steve_at_necadon.com
http://surf.to/styopa