Female-centered cameos

From: Sergio Mascarenhas <sermasalmeida_at_mail.telepac.pt>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 15:10:53 +0100

The recent discussion with Jane about gender roles made me think that what we really need is not woman-in-men's-trousers godesses (like Vinga or Yelorna) but true female-centered scenarios and campaigns, in which women will be the center of the action while fulfiling their normal female role in their culture. So, I tried to develop two cameos that adopt this principle.

I - UNRECORDED HEROINES: HOW MY CLAN SURVIVED INTRODUCTION
This cameo takes place in a Sartarite clan that sufered heavily from the lunar invasion. Most of its men either died fighting the invader, or had to flee to distant lands. Yet, most fighting didn't take place on the lands of the clan.
After the invasion the inhabitants of the clan are the women, some old men that could not fight and children. The result is that there is no men to lead the clan, and lunar authorities will do everything to avoid their return.

THE MAIN PLOT
Given the situation just described, the adult women decide to take their destiny in their hands. They will lead the clan and drive it through the tough years of the foreseable future.
This is to be played as a campaign. The objective is to ensure the survival of the clan in the long term.

CHARACTERS
Most PCs are women. It will take some years before the authorities will accept the return of their men (under humiliating conditions), or before their male children grow-up.
It will be important to have a strong leader (be it a PC or an NPC). In cult terms, the most important people are Ernaldan. Some minor roles will be played by BBGors, Asrelians, Ulerians. These last will be important for 'cirurgical' operations, needed to deal with some special situations.

MINOR PLOT LINES AND SCENARIO HOOKS
"New men for the girls" - the war left a lot of girls unmarried, and turned
some married women into widows. Besides, the clan could use some new men. Good scouting will reveal that there are some good parties (well, not the perfect parties, but didn't you never heard that the optimal is the enemy of the good?) in the nearby clans. Can we attract them into us in our own terms?
"An unexpected visit" - the son / husband / father / brother of a clan
woman came to pay a visit to his family. The problem his that the lunar authorities have a price on his head...
"Keep the barbarians at the gate I" - the lunars want to force us to marry
their soldiers. Can we avoid it?
"Keep the barbarians at the gate II" - the treacherous leader or the nearby
clan, that was all too kick to accept the new rulers, wants to grow his states by incorporating our clan. How to downplay his manovers?
"Keep the barbarians at the gate III" - the lunar priests want to force us
to accept their foul creeds, and turn our godess Ernalda into a further slave of their pantheon. How can we resist this ordeal?
"There's no job like a woman's job" - even men's job are a woman's job this
days. Let's organize and show why a woman is worth a thousand men.
"Boyzz will be menzz" - our boys are growing. They need to learn their man
skills. How can we insure that they'll follow the right path, and will become men we can be proud of?

II - THE BLESSED HERD INTRODUCTION
Some years before the battle of Moonbroth a rhino clan was blessed by Eiritha with a Blessed Calf (1).
The men of the clan were among the hardest hit in the battle where most of them died (including most runelevels).
Deprieved of its men, the women must take the destiny of the clan in their hands.
Given the fact that they were blessed by Eiritha, a sable clan escorts the herd into the wastes (1).

THE MAIN PLOT
The clan does not have male leaders. The remaining men in the clan are either too young or too old.
It will take some seasons or even years before the few survivors from the Moonbroth battle can join the clan. It's up for the women to ensure their survival in the hostile wastes.

CHARACTERS
Women.
Some minor male shamans and hunters.
Children

(1) BLESSED CALVES
A major magical event among praxian tribes is the appearence of a Blessed Calf. This is a gift from Eiritha for the clan of one of her pristesses that distinguished herselve by her deads. Such blessing is very rare (usually no more then once per generation for all the praxian tribes and clans).

The blessed calf is a special female specimen of his race. It will be born from the best male and female exemplars of the clan's herd. It does not have free int, but as the maximum intelligence and power of its species. It will be without equal among its species: splendid proportions, beautiful and uncommon color, perfect horns, etc.
When the calf grows, it will gibe birth to a whole generation of first rate speciemens, marking the herd for the future. The calf has natural magical abilities: all its pregnancies are naturally blessed, like by the special divine magic Bless Animals. All Eiritha priestesses can speak with the Blessed Calf like using the special divine magic Speak With Heard Beasts without the nead of the spell. The Blessed Calf has a natural understending of humans (something like the skill Understand Beast Speach reversed). The spirit of the Blessed Calf always add to the wyter of the herd when this appears. The Blessed Calf has Pathway and Peace naturally. It will cast the spells in the interest of the herd.

Blessed Calves are holy for praxians. No clan or tribe can attack the clan blessed with the calf without suffering the wrath of Eiritha (unless: the blessed clan fails to deserve her protection; the blessed clan starts the hostilities).