Elmal and stuff

From: Richard, Jeff <Jeff.Richard_at_metrokc.gov>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 09:00:56 -0700

Hi there. Couple of observations:

>Bows: while the point has been made that Elmal and Orlanth don't get
>on all that well, I'm not convinced that Elmal and Vinga get on any
>better.

Huh? Elmal is Orlanth's trusty thane, sturdy right-hand, his spear-man and a boon companion. Elmal and Orlanth fought to determine who would follow the other. Orlanth won. As a result, Elmal pledged his loyalty to Orlanth and his tribe. What part of this suggests "that Elmal and Orlanth don't get on all that well"?

The Orlanthi use the bow - just not the fabulous long bow that folk seem to like so much. In mass combat, I suspect that arrows and other light missile weapons are less effective as a result of the storms that tend to be whipped up whenever masses of Orlanthi fight. Then again, the traditional cultural enemies of the Orlanthi don't use bows either - the Dara Happans aren't exactly famous for their war-archers either.

>Thomas notes in passing that the RoC Orlanth write-up gives him
>nothing from Elmal. Unless I'm misremembering my RQ history, Elmal
>hadn't been invented when RoC was written, had he? Any old-timers
>want to correct me? Both events were before I was into Glorantha, so
>I'm not too sure of the order.

Nope RoC predates Elmal. Predates Heler. Predates Vinga and much much more. Personally, I recommend using the cult write-up in Enclosure I and converting it into RQ. But then again, I'm biased.

>Similarly ascribing Vinga's skill with horses to the Red Women
>learning from their father Berenneth will mean back-dating the tuition a
>bit. Vinga must have learnt it from whoever Berenneth worshipped:
>Elmal?

Berenneth worshipped the gods of the Orlanthi. Orlanth's son Vingkot was his father-in-law and king. Vingkot used to hang out in Orlanth's stead (where he was said to be the fourth best warrior of all the Orlanthi - only Humakt, Orlanth and Vadrus were said to be better).

>Not Hyalor, as he again is a hero, not a deity and can't
>possibly have taught things to a goddess. Never mind reality, feel the
>drama!

All horse-riding in Central Genertela ultimately stems from Hyalor. Just like all use of the light plow in Central Genertela stems from Barntar.

Jeff

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #227