Horse rider relationships

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 11:23:54 +1200 (NZST)

Richard Crawley:

>This is one of those things I've never quite managed to get my
>head around - can anyone tell me briefly (or point me towards
>a source) about the relationships (if any) between the Grazer
>folk of Dragon Pass, the Pol Joni, The Pure Horse Tribe of Prax,
>and the Pentan nomads?

The Pentan nomads are the original Horse riders in the list. During the Imperial Age, a conservative tribe of Pentan Nomads was hired by the EWF to go south to the plains of Prax and stomp on animal nomads. This tribe became known as the Pure Horse Tribe of Prax.

Early in the Modern Age, the Pure Horse Tribe was mulched at the battle of Alavan Argay. The survivors (women and children, elders, crippled warriors) fled to uninhabited Dragon Pass rather than to be enslaved by the Animal Nomads. The survivors were accepted by Ironhoof and his people and settled in a valley. They became known as the Grazers.

Derik Poljoni was indeed a Sartarite but he also had in his tribe Grazer dissidents. Furthermore, he heroquested to bring back some of the survivors of the battle of Alavan Argay, ie the Pure Horse Warriors who had been taken prisoner and imprisioned in the Black Net to await their fate. cf KoS p120, p193.

The information is scattered over several sources but RoC and KoS should give you most (if not all) of the information.