HW & RQ rules discussions

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 22:21:07 +0100

Bryan asks:

> Given the incredible and intense attention given to the HW RULES
> MECHANICS on this digest, is it now acceptable to give such attention
> to the RQ rules mechanics?
>
> Is this the Glorantha digest or the "Lets be hypocrites and say it's
> the Glorantha digest, but pure mechanics discussions are permitted to
> dominate, but only if they're about HW, digest."?

As was recently pointed out, there is a separate RQ-Rules-Digest, and AFAIK this is still extant. This would seem to be the best place to discuss the RuneQuest rules mechanics. If the discussions there are less interesting, or the number (or volume) of subscribers is lower, than it is here on the Glorantha Digest, that is not proof positive that RQ rules mechanics discussions would likely be interesting to non-subscribers to that list (or subscribers to this one).

>> The Glorantha Digest isn't the proper place for RuneQuest discussions.
>> I believe there may still be a rq-rules list somewhere out there in the
>> ether.

> So, therefore, by analogy, the Glorantha Digest isn't the proper place
> for Hero Wars discussions. Thank you for answering my question.

There is, of course, no HW-Rules-Digest. "Hero Wars" issues are clearly of interest to several posters (hence the "incredible and intense" posts); these are not limited to rules aspects of the new game, though obviously they include them. I am sure that, after HW is published, an HW-Rules-Digest will come into being -- if there is sufficient demand.

I feel the submission guidelines for this list are quite clear. As an alternative outlet for RQ rules mechanics posts exists, and as such posts are clearly contra-indicated for this list, it is hard to know why Bryan would like or expect to see them here. Unless his flame was a troll -- not wanting to see RQ rules posts here, but wanting no HW rules posts *anywhere*. Cui bono?

Nick
:::: web: <http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Nick_Brooke>